Denim skirts have been a staple in women’s fashion for decades. After falling out of favor in the late 90s and 2000s, denim skirts have significantly returned in recent years. This classic piece is reinvented with new styles, washes, and details, making it an essential item for any wardrobe.
A Brief History of Denim Skirts
In the 1970s, denim skirts initially became a widely worn piece of clothing. They and blue jeans became an enduring representation of American casual wear. Denim skirts frequently reached mid-thigh or higher and were relatively short. The tiny dress, A-line skirt, and wrap skirt were popular styles. Classic denim skirts were created by well-known companies like Levi’s and Wrangler and are still recognizable today.
Denim skirts were still in style in the 1980s and 1990s. In the current country, bohemian, and grunge fashions, grew longer, frequently falling below the knee. Dark washes and embroidered accents were popular. Leggings, boots, and oversized shirts were often paired with denim skirts.
The popularity of denim skirts started to wane by the late 1990s. Low-rise jeans and pants in the trouser shape were the most popular fashions. Compared to these modern styles, denim skirts were deemed out of style. But in the 2000s, several fashion designers started creating denim skirts from scratch in new materials, including stretch denim, lightweight denim, and chambray. This sparked the gradual comeback of the denim skirt.
The Return of the Denim Skirt
In the 2010s, denim skirts came back in full force. This was thanks to a wave of 90s nostalgia, the rising popularity of vintage fashion, and designers creating fresh takes on classic denim skirts. Now, denim skirts are back as a wardrobe essential.
Modern denim skirts come in a wide variety of styles. The classic mini skirt never goes out of favor. Longer, midi and maxi-length denim skirts have also gained popularity. A-line, wrap, button-front, and patchwork denim skirts offer new twists on old favorites. Distressed details, frayed hems, embroidered accents, and retro pockets are stylish touches.
Denim skirts are now available in a rainbow of different washes and hues. Light-wash white, pale blue, and pink denim skirts are trendy for a vintage appeal. Dark-wash and black denim skirts offer a more grunge or modern look. Colored denim skirts also come in pastel pinks, peaches, and greens.
Tips for Styling Denim Skirts
The revival of denim skirts makes them a great versatile piece to add to your wardrobe. Here are some tips for styling denim skirts for different looks:
Casual Daytime Look
Pair a medium-wash denim skirt with a graphic tee or breezy blouse for the daytime. Add white sneakers or sandals for an effortlessly chic look. Carry a small backpack or crossbody bag. Accessorize with simple jewelry like layered necklaces and hoop earrings. This creates a relaxed yet put-together vibe that is perfect for weekends.
Date Night Outfit
Make your denim skirt date night ready by styling it with heels and a silky camisole. Choose a bold red or hot pink cami to stand out. Add sparkle with a crystal-embellished denim skirt, metallic handbag, and statement earrings. A denim skirt outfit can now work for a night out.
Channel 70s chic with a modern denim skirt outfit. Pair a shorter denim skirt with a cropped tee and platform sandals. Wear a high-waisted style and add retro accessories like a printed headscarf, cat-eye sunglasses, and bangle bracelets. Add neon pops of color for a bold throwback look.
Create a relaxed downtown vibe with an all-black denim skirt outfit. Choose a black denim skirt in a longer midi length. Pair it with a fitted black turtleneck and black booties. Finish with a black leather moto jacket. This creates an edgy day or nighttime outfit.
Pair a tiered maxi denim skirt with an off-the-shoulder blouse for a boho goddess vibe. Add lots of beaded necklaces and a woven bag. Style your hair in free-flowing waves or braids. Finish with gladiator sandals. This breezy outfit channels 70s style.
Finding the Perfect Denim Skirt for Your Body Type
Denim skirts now come in so many styles that there’s an option for every body type. Here are some tips to find a flattering denim skirt based on your figure:
- Pear shape: Try an A-line denim skirt that flares wider at the hem to balance curvy hips. Medium to long skirt lengths also help proportion your body.
- Athletic: Choose any denim skirt style from mini to maxi. Curve-hugging pencil skirts and stretch denim styles showcase muscular legs.
- Straight/rectangular: Opt for a denim skirt with volume, ruffles, pleats, or distressed details to add shape. Shorter lengths show off your legs.
- Hourglass: Flaunt your curves in a bodycon denim skirt or stretch denim pencil skirt. Pair with a tucked-in blouse to highlight your waist.
- Apple shape: A dark denim skirt with front pockets creates flattering lines and elongation. Pair with a flowy top to balance the fit-and-flare body.
- Petite: Minis and shorter styles prevent your dress from overwhelming your frame. High-waisted denim skirts elongate your legs.
Where to Shop for Denim Skirts
The denim skirt comeback means major retailers now carry a wide variety. Classic brands like Levi’s and Wrangler have new denim skirt options alongside fast-fashion retailers like Zara and H&M. Some top places to shop for denim skirts include:
- Madewell – Known for excellent quality denim in trendy modern washes and vintage details. Lots of midi, maxi, A-line, and distressed options.
- Abercrombie – Cute short, embroidered, and patchwork denim skirts in light and pale denim. Great for a retro vibe.
- Gap – Affordable range of denim skirt styles from mini to maxi length. Lots of classic five-pocket styling.
- Free People – Boho goddess heaven. Tiered and ruffled maxi denim skirts plus embellished minis.
- Urban Outfitters – Funky modern denim skirts with trendy embroidery, patchwork, uneven hems, and retro silhouettes.
- Levi’s – Iconic brand behind the original denim skirt. Carries new spins on vintage styles.
- Revolve – Trendy e-tailer with denim minis by AG, Levi’s, BlankNYC, and other premium denim brands.
The Versatile Staple Everyone Needs
The denim skirt comeback cements it as a must-have wardrobe staple once again. You can find a denim skirt with so many styles to complement any look or occasion. From laid-back weekends to date nights, denim skirts effortlessly go from day to evening. They pair well with tees, blouses, tanks, sweaters, and more.
Revive your wardrobe with this throwback essential. Add a classic denim skirt or reinvented modern style. With proper fit and styling, denim skirts are endlessly flattering and versatile. Discover how this staple can elevate all your favorite outfits for everyday wear and special events. Denim skirts are back and better than ever.
From retro classics to updated modern styles, denim skirts continue to be reinvented and remain a staple fashion piece. They can be flattering on any body type with the proper wash, fit, and styling. Denim skirts transition seamlessly from casual daywear to chic evening looks. As one of the most versatile closet items, the denim skirt comeback is one trend that is here to stay.
What is the most popular denim skirt style?
The classic mini skirt remains the most popular denim style, but midi and maxi lengths are widely embraced today. A-line, wrap, button-front, and distressed denim skirts are trendy modern styles.
What colors and washes are popular for denim skirts?
Medium blue wash denim remains a classic, but light washes are trendy now. White, pale blue, and blush pink denim skirts are popular for a retro look. Dark wash and black denim skirts offer a more modern, edgy look.